Saturday, September 23, 2006

So, arriving at Manchester Piccadilly circa 2pm, I was instantly impressed. A sea of eager staff in yellow jackets guiding you from station to tram to G-Mex to hotel.

Mind you, if I had managed to get lost, I could have merely followed the general din eminating from the anti-war march taking place outside the conference hall. There is always something heart-warming about seeing thousands of people taking the streets in such a way.

I must admit, I couldn't understand the perspective of the man holding a sign declaring "We live in a dictatorship. Freedom is dead". In more reckless days, I might have pointed out to him that the simple act of being able to attend such demonstrations proves that freedom is very much alive.

3 Comments:

At 6:43 AM, Blogger Praguetory said...

Jonathan - best wishes with the blogging. You might like to contrast your smooth arrival with Bob Piper's and others. PS - Bloggers4Labour are having some IT issues (they chose this week for some technical work for some reason) so your readers can't link to it. Maybe you should link directly to Bob, Luke and others.

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Jonathan Roberts said...

An interesting account! I got here early (midday on the Saturday), so perhaps I was lucky to avoid all such shenanigans.

I did notice that he hadn't received his clearance through the post, that's usually as a result of late application from the particular member involved (although I could be wrong in his case).

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger Praguetory said...

The B4L link seems to be working OK now. I'll leave it to others to speculate on the cause for Bob's and other delays. I just hope I don't face the same issue at Conservative Conference.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home